Myspace Add Us
Sierra - Tuolumne Kennel Club
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do if I have lost or found a dog?
You should immediately report it to Animal Control at 209-984-1338

How long do the animals stay up for adoption?

There is no time limit. Most of our animals are adopted in a week or two. Dogs that are here for an extended period of time are given enrichment activities to keep their stress level as low as possible

How do I get a dog license?

You should go to Animal Control at 10040 Victoria Way in Jamestown. They will be happy to help you.

I can no longer keep my pet, what should I do?

First you should contact friends, relatives, co-workers and let them know you are looking for a new home for your animal. We always recommend that surrendering your pet to a shelter as the last possible option. If the Humane Society of Tuolumne County (HSOTC) is the last possible option, please contact us at 209-984-5489 to discuss possible placement. There are always more animals then homes and we have limited space and limited help. We will need copies of all veterinary records and you will need to fill out a behavior evaluation form to help us place your pet the appropriate home.  There is a surrender fee imposed plus a nominal fee for heartworm testing if your animal has not been previously tested. 

There is an injured deer on my property, what should I do?

You should leave the animal alone. The stress of being pursued by humans can cause further injury or even death. You should call Animal Control at 209-984-1338

What should I do if a dog or cat bites me?

First, contact your physician or health care provider for medical advice. Cat bites, especially, are likely to become infected. Secondly, contact Animal Control at 209-984-1338 to report the bite. As a precaution for rabies, the State of California requires that any animal that bites a person and breaks the skin must be quarantined for 10 days from the date of the bite. Even if the animal has a current rabies vaccination, they must go through the quarantine. An animal can be quarantined at the guardian's home, at a vet hospital or at Animal Control. The purpose of the quarantine is to observe the animal's health condition during 10 days following the bite. This is to ensure the victim that the animal is free from rabies.


My neighbor’s dog barks all the time. What can I do?

If speaking to your neighbor does not solve the problem, contact Animal Control at 209-984-1338 and inform them of the problem. It’s best to have another household in your area collaborate the dates and times of the barking.

Are you a “no kill shelter”?

Yes!  We are a limited intake/no-kill shelter. This simply means, we accept the animals we choose to enter the shelter and we choose whom we want to adopt to. The no-kill designation rejects euthaniasia as a means fo population control and instead works toward reducing the number of animal's born through increased spay & neuter programs including low-cost assistance for low income people.  However, since the HSOTC is limited in the number of animals that can be accepted, we employ waiting lists of owners wishing to surrender their pets for adoption and an active foster care program.  

What are your hours?

We are open Monday thru Saturday from 9:00AM to 3:00PM and animal viewing hours are from 10:00AM - 2:30PM.

How much does it cost to adopt an animal?

Altered dogs are adopted for $100, and $140 to adopt an altered dog under 30 pounds. Puppies are $100 plus the state required voucher for alteration of $40 totaling $140.  Altered cats are $55. Unaltered kittens are $30 plus the state required voucher for alteration for $40, totaling $70. Every adoption includes a complementary visit with a participating Vet a copy of the animal's medical history and plenty of educational material on building your relationship with your new best friend.  

Do you have a veterinarian on site?

No, we use one of six local veterinarians that belong to the Tuolumne County Veterinarians Association. Each veterinarian donates one week ever six weeks to the animals that reside at the HSOTC.  

Do you give out spay and neuter vouchers?

We have three active spay and neuter voucher programs and every adult animal at the HSOtc that is available for adoption is spay or neutered prior to being adopted.  For puppies and kittens, a state required spay and neuter voucher is required at a cost of $40 plus the respective adoption fee.  For our low-income residents (those who qualify must have a gross household income of or below $21,200) two voucher programs are available.  Our SNAP (Spay & Neuter Assistance Program) is structured to help end overpopulation of our feline friends.  And our Low Income Spay & Neuter Voucher Program is available for both dogs and cats.  For more information on these programs please contact us at or call 209-984-5489.  

Do you give out free food?

No, yet for low income families we do offer small bags of food for $1 per bag on a first-come, first-serve basis as our available food, for this purpose, is limited.  

Do you spay and neuter animals at your location?

No, we use the Tuolumne County Veterinarian Association.

Is Animal Control and the HSOTC the same?

No, we are two very distinct agencies. Animal Control is a Tuolumne County government agency and is responsible for enforcing state law pertaining to animal care and control.  It has the authority to investIgate suspected or reported acts of animal cruelty or neglect, animals causing a nuisance, and rabies tags/license violations. Officers may take possession of dangerous animals as well as pets who have been abandoned and who are lost or unwanted.  The HSOTC is the Humane Society of Tuolumne County.  We work hand-in-hand with Animal Control should they have an issue with over-crowding and ask to place some of the animals in their possession. The HSOTC primarily takes in owner-surrendered, unwanted and abandones animals and are funded by local donations only in our quest to find homes for animals that deserve a second chance.